Confused - confirm typo? (Physics - page 44 - 2018 edition)

Frosty88

Confused - confirm typo? (Physics - page 44 - 2018 edition)

Post by Frosty88 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am

Hi there,

I think 0.1m means 0.1M?

The Figure 11. picture formula confused me. The equation was:

TsubA = Fsin(theta)
TsubA = 0.1m(1)
TsubA = 0.1mF

10cm = 0.1m confused me because the 0.1 makes sense if it is 0.1M for meter, not 0.1m=millimeter. On page 2, the prefix abbreviation for milli is small m and the prefix abbreviation for meter is capital M.

I guess I also associate the small m with mass throughout the physics chapter unless there is a question involving Newtons:

example: Newtons per meter (expressed as N over small m) or J =1k times m/seconds square

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. :|

Thank you,
Frosty88
NS_Tutor_Nancy

Re: Confused - confirm typo? (Physics - page 44 - 2018 edition)

Post by NS_Tutor_Nancy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi,

No worries, there are no dumb questions! So on that page in the figure it says that d = 10 cm (centimeters). When plugging in the value, we need to change it to meters which is abbreviated as "m," so it plugs in 0.1 m. If you want to say millimeters, this is abbreviated as "mm." If you see a capital "M" this is a measure of molarity. So for example if you say the solution is 1 M glucose, this means it is 1 mol of glucose per liter. The small "m" can be used to stand for mass as a variable in an equation, such as in the potential energy equation where PE = mgh. However, when talking about plugging in values to equations and your values have units, "m" as a unit always means meters.

I hope this helps!