Question about psych studies.

khadeja

Question about psych studies.

Postby khadeja » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

This question is in regards to the 6th question from Full Length 3:
The passage states that "A study was run to determine the degree to which individuals with obsessive-compulsive (OC) traits generalize conditioned fear when compared to healthy participants."
The explanation to the question is that they should have used clinical cases instead of the ones they did use. Why though? The study doesn't specify they want to know its for clinical patients or not. I thought we should think in relation to the hypothesis presented and not any other assumptions.
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Question about psych studies.

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi khadeja,

Thanks for the excellent question! Just as a quick note before I reply, I moved this question from where it was originally posted (in the PCAT forums) to an MCAT forum. Hope that doesn't cause any confusion on your end :).

The support for this answer is in the first paragraph, where they discuss how conditioned fear is relevant for anxiety disorders such as OCD, which provides context for this study and indicates the ultimate research goals that it's contributing towards.

I do see your point, though; however, just like with CARS, for questions like this on the P/S section, choosing the "best" answer can sometimes mean choosing the least bad answer, and the other answers have more clear-cut reasons for not being limitations. C in particular is tempting, but a specific goal of this question is that subjecting study participants to unpleasant procedures is not necessarily in and of itself a limitation or ethical concern, as long as informed consent is obtained and the procedure is not unnecessarily unpleasant.

Hope this helps, & please keep up the great questions!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
khadeja

Re: Question about psych studies.

Postby khadeja » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, it does. Thank you!

I have another question regarding FL3, question36, why must we always change the sign of the smaller reduction potential? And what if we're given oxidation potentials instead. What would we do then?

Return to “Post Questions About Exams and QBank”