CARS QBank 3, Question 1

Arielle

CARS QBank 3, Question 1

Post by Arielle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi there,

My question is regarding Q1 of the third CARS Qbank. The passage is titled "MP248," and discusses total brain failure.

The answer explanation selects choice A, that a supporter of Position Two would argue that a person with consciousness-compromising condition should be considered, "alive, as the patient is able to spontaneously interact with the environment." It cites that this is correct because it is stated at the end of the second paragraph. However, it is not clear to me that this statement at the end of paragraph two is representative of Position Two. Rather, it seems like a rebuke to the third position mentioned in that paragraph, and the reason why considering BOTH Positions 1 and 2 are more valid, in the author's opinion.

If someone else sees how choice (a) is the best answer, let me know. Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: CARS QBank 3, Question 1

Post by NS_Tutor_Andrew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi Arielle,

Thanks for the excellent question! Let's break this question down into two steps.

First, we have to figure out what the passage means by a "consciousness-compromising condition" -- we can't just rely on our intuitions here. This is defined as a condition where a patient can still move, wake up, and groan (i.e., interact with stimuli from the outside world to some extent).

Now, we have to figure out what Position Two says. The first paragraph tells us that Position Two considers total brain failure (i.e., the inability to spontaneously breathe or show other signs of life) to indicate death, and this point is expanded on in paragraph 5. A "consciousness-compromising condition" falls short of total brain failure.

Since Position Two holds interaction w/ the outside world to be indicative of life, and patients in a "consciousness-compromising condition" interact with the outside world, adherents of Position Two would consider them to be alive, making A the correct answer.

Hope this helps clarify things, and please feel free to ask further questions :).
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.