How to use Science Diagnostic

vgp1993

How to use Science Diagnostic

Post by vgp1993 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi, I was wondering if I could get an explanation for how to use the science diagnostic test. My study plan has me set to complete it all today, but I wanted to make sure that that is what I am supposed to do. Obviously, there are a lot of questions, and I clicked on the timed version and have 16 hours to complete it. Can someone let me know if this is how it is supposed to be used?

Also, since this is not meant to represent a real test, is it better to leave blank questions that you don’t know so that correct guesses don’t skew the results of how well you know certain material?

Thanks
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: How to use Science Diagnostic

Post by NS_Tutor_Andrew » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi vgp1993,

Thank you for the excellent question! The science diagnostic is meant to just give you an overview of where your strengths and weaknesses lie in various domains of science. As such, if you need to break it up over a few days, you're welcome to do so by taking it untimed. In terms of whether you guess on questions you don't know, it doesn't make a huge difference. Of course, on the MCAT itself, you always want to guess if you don't know, because there is no penalty for incorrect answers. You're correct that in theory correct guesses on the science diagnostic could mask a gap in content knowledge, but the 25% rate of random guessing is unlikely to skew the results that much, and you yourself will also be aware of where you were uncertain, which is the primary point of the resource.

Hope this helps & best of luck getting started!!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
vgp1993

Re: How to use Science Diagnostic

Post by vgp1993 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Got it. Thanks!