QBook - Biology Section (#33)

jimothysong

QBook - Biology Section (#33)

Postby jimothysong » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I guessed on this questions completely, but I do not understand how C is the correct answer. Do I need to understand how antibodies are formed to understand what the question is asking?

Thank you!
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: QBook - Biology Section (#33)

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

Hi jimothysong,

Thanks for asking! That's an interesting question. Technically speaking, you don't need to know anything about antibody production to answer the question. They tell you (1) that two regions (we can even just call them X and Y) are connected by a random set of base pairs and (2) that X and Y have to be within the same open reading frame. Thus, the content that's really being tested is the knowledge of what an open reading frame is and that three base pairs correspond to a codon.

That said, for the MCAT you definitely should know that antibodies have a hypervariable region of antigen-binding sequences that are generated randomly, although you're not responsible for the details on a molecular level. That knowledge would have made this question more approachable, but it wasn't actually required, if that makes sense.

Great question, best of luck studying, and please feel free to write in with any other questions that may come up!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.

Return to “Post Questions About Exams and QBank”