NS FL #6, Biology Q55

sdaswani

NS FL #6, Biology Q55

Post by sdaswani » Sat May 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi! I'm having trouble breaking out the hypotheses/answer choices to come to the answer for this question. would you be able to please help clarify/explain the choices in a little more detail?

thanks much!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: NS FL #6, Biology Q55

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun May 26, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for the question!

I'm not exactly sure the best way to clarify this -- what was your thought process? How did you approach it? What were the trickier components of the question? I'd be glad to try to address any confusion, but I'm not sure where to aim my answer!

Essentially, we are trying to choose the hypothesis that better matches the circumstances described in the question stem: that PT-mediated ADP ribosylation leads to the smallest cAMP increase when there is more Gi than Gs coupled receptors. If we have more Gi, there should be a decrease in cAMP because it is the inhibitory G protein. Therefore, with less Gi, we'd see more cAMP and with more Gi we'd see less cAMP. This aligns with hypothesis 1 and the question situation because when there's less Gs, there wouldn't be as large an increase in cAMP whether or not there is Gi inactivated or activated because it's Gs that promotes cAMP. If the ratio favored Gs, then we'd expect more cAMP.

I hope this helps! If there are any specific aspects of it that are confusing, I'd be glad to help out more!