NS FL #6, Psych Q39

sdaswani

NS FL #6, Psych Q39

Post by sdaswani » Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 am

Hi! I wonder why confidence in medical knowledge is excluded from the answer. The explanation states that there is not enough evidence suggesting this in the passage. But, doesn't medical hierarchy sort of imply the "confidence?" Would appreciate your clarification!

Thank you!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: NS FL #6, Psych Q39

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the question!

This one is a little tricky to explain in clear terms, because it is the lack of passage information supporting varying levels of confidence that makes it wrong. There would have to be some reason to think there were varying levels of confidence in medical knowledge within a single step or between multiple steps of the hierarchy to make that a potentially confounding variable. Since we don't really see either of those ideas suggested anywhere in the passage, I think it's a bit of a leap to add it on on our own. Just because there's a "hierarchy" doesn't mean that the person at the top is the most confident, then each step lower is less and less confident in their medical knowledge. In other words, we have clearer reasons to suspect that a medical student might report an error less frequently because they know less about the errors and because they are at the bottom rung of the ladder (it's not that they know the information but just aren't confident in it).

I hope this is helpful!
sdaswani

Re: NS FL #6, Psych Q39

Post by sdaswani » Thu May 23, 2019 10:25 am

Thanks for the clarification! It's tricky, but I now see the difference in levels of confidence vs. hierarchy. The passage definitely stresses on the hierarchy bit of it, a lot more.