NS FL #6 CARS Q28

sdaswani

NS FL #6 CARS Q28

Post by sdaswani » Tue May 21, 2019 7:17 am

How do we know from the passage that Odyssey was written by Homer? I incorrectly answered (C) because I wasn't able to catch the different "works" of the different people. Paradise and Inferno are not even "sections" of the Divine Comedy, is that correct?

Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: NS FL #6 CARS Q28

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks for the question!

Paradise and Inferno are places in Dante's work (paradise is heaven and inferno is the deepest part of hell). The author does state "Virgil clearly made a point in his Aeneid," which does point to the fact that Virgil wrote the Aeneid and then goes on to argue that Dante's work is departing from Virgil in important ways. Similarly, the author then touches on Odysseus, from the Odyssey, but doesn't state directly who wrote that work. We can assume from context clues that it was Homer, since Homer is also discussed in the first paragraph as being one of the great epic poets. It's often said and repeated that you don't need any outside content knowledge for CARS, but this isn't exactly true. You of course need general fluency with the words being used and need to be able to follow assumptions (which require some basic level of shared understanding between question writer and answerer). That Homer wrote the Odyssey may be on the border between something the CARS-taker is expected to know (i.e. general knowledge) and something they should be told. Either way, though, answer choice A, even with just Virgil, makes the most sense given the other options.

I hope this helps and good luck!
sdaswani

Re: NS FL #6 CARS Q28

Post by sdaswani » Tue May 21, 2019 11:52 am

Thank you! And yes, I agree, A makes most sense after re-reading. I was just hoping I didn't miss something silly that directly stated that Odysseus was written by Homer.