Biology Qbank 1 Molecular Genetics Q 17

jmartin

Biology Qbank 1 Molecular Genetics Q 17

Post by jmartin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 pm

After reading the explanation for the correct answer I still don't understand it. I feel that I'm missing something.
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: Biology Qbank 1 Molecular Genetics Q 17

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:41 pm

jmartin wrote:After reading the explanation for the correct answer I still don't understand it. I feel that I'm missing something.
Could you clarify please what you don't understand or what's confusing you? The more we know the easier it is to help.
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com
jmartin

Post by jmartin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 pm

The answer that was given was 1/3. How do you get this answer? Part of the explanation is "only one-third of all whole numbers are multiples of 3". Is this knowledge that I should have already or was there a formula used to get this answer?
jmartin

Post by jmartin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:56 pm

NS_Tutor_Katelyn wrote:
jmartin wrote:After reading the explanation for the correct answer I still don't understand it. I feel that I'm missing something.
Could you clarify please what you don't understand or what's confusing you? The more we know the easier it is to help.
The answer that was given was 1/3. How do you get this answer? Part of the explanation is "only one-third of all whole numbers are multiples of 3". Is this knowledge that I should have already or was there a formula used to get this answer?
NS_Tutor_Will

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I would say that your question requires outside knowledge, but more in a logical sense than in a content, formula-based sense. The statement that only 1/3 numbers are multiples of three makes sense logically, because the multiples of three are:

3, 6, 9, 12, ...

and the non-multiples of three are:

1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, ...

So, in the same space on the number line, four out of twelve numbers are multiples of three and eight out of twelve are not. Thus, one third of whole numbers are multiples of three.

I hope this helps!
Will