Biology question bank passages 10: Molecular genetics question

aru

Biology question bank passages 10: Molecular genetics question

Post by aru » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:54 pm

20) What can be inferred from the data presented in Figure 1 and 2?

"Since meiosis I generates a primary oocyte and a polar body that are both diploid, polar body A must have come from meiosis I."
Can you please explain me the reason. It says the polar body is diploid whereas the order follows as: germinal cell (diploid) divides in to primary oocyte (diploid) into polar body and secondary oocyte and this is the meiosis one which results in haploid sec. oocyte and polar body but why does in explanation it says that polar body is diploid?
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: Biology question bank passages 10: Molecular genetics question

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:14 pm

aru wrote:20) What can be inferred from the data presented in Figure 1 and 2?

"Since meiosis I generates a primary oocyte and a polar body that are both diploid, polar body A must have come from meiosis I."
Can you please explain me the reason. It says the polar body is diploid whereas the order follows as: germinal cell (diploid) divides in to primary oocyte (diploid) into polar body and secondary oocyte and this is the meiosis one which results in haploid sec. oocyte and polar body but why does in explanation it says that polar body is diploid?
Yikes, that's one of the bigger mistakes I've seen in a passage. Thanks for pointing it out, we'll fix it ASAP, hopefully in the next 36 hours.

-Kate
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com