Full length #4-Bio/Biochem #15

jkwdo12

Full length #4-Bio/Biochem #15

Postby jkwdo12 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:09 pm

I am having hard time tracking what's happening to each strand as replication occurs. When the question reads "He allows the DNA to replicate once, then removes the artificial bases and replaces them with bases G’’, C’’, T’’, and A,’’ I am taking it as he is removing all the previous artificial bases such as G’, C’, T’, and A.’ If that's the case, how can we still have original bases and 1st artificial bases(G’, C’, T’, and A’) in the final product.....? I know that DNA replication occurs in semiconservative manner so that it will show parental strand in the end. However, I am having hard time visualizing and linking how the procedure listed out in the question stem match the answer C. Could you clarify this? Thanks:))
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: Full length #4-Bio/Biochem #15

Postby NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:45 pm

jkwdo12 wrote:I am having hard time tracking what's happening to each strand as replication occurs. When the question reads "He allows the DNA to replicate once, then removes the artificial bases and replaces them with bases G’’, C’’, T’’, and A,’’ I am taking it as he is removing all the previous artificial bases such as G’, C’, T’, and A.’ If that's the case, how can we still have original bases and 1st artificial bases(G’, C’, T’, and A’) in the final product.....? I know that DNA replication occurs in semiconservative manner so that it will show parental strand in the end. However, I am having hard time visualizing and linking how the procedure listed out in the question stem match the answer C. Could you clarify this? Thanks:))

When it says he removed the previous artificial bases, it means that he removed them from the medium. He didn’t remove the G’ etc. bases that were already incorporated into the DNA.

-Kate
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com

Return to “Post Questions About Exams and QBank”