AAMC FL2 P/S 46

ds07164

AAMC FL2 P/S 46

Post by ds07164 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Can someone please explain this question, and why the correct answer is this answer?

A researcher is interested in how anxiety disorders affect escape learning. Which procedure is most appropriate for assessing the dependent variable in the study?

Correct answer ->Monitoring how many trials it takes for participants to be conditioned to perform a response that results in the termination of an electrical shock.

I chose: Monitoring how many trials it takes for participants to avoid a response that results in an electric shock when the electric shock is signaled with a tone.

I do not understand why my answer is wrong or why their answer is better. Any help on this would be amazing! THANKS
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: AAMC FL2 P/S 46

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:01 pm

ds07164 wrote:Can someone please explain this question, and why the correct answer is this answer?

A researcher is interested in how anxiety disorders affect escape learning. Which procedure is most appropriate for assessing the dependent variable in the study?

Correct answer ->Monitoring how many trials it takes for participants to be conditioned to perform a response that results in the termination of an electrical shock.

I chose: Monitoring how many trials it takes for participants to avoid a response that results in an electric shock when the electric shock is signaled with a tone.

I do not understand why my answer is wrong or why their answer is better. Any help on this would be amazing! THANKS
Escape learning is a conditioned response to terminate an ongoing, negative stimulus. Answer D describes this. The answer you chose describes avoidance learning, which is behavior designed to avoid triggering a negative stimulus. So to summarize: stopping a negative stimulus is escape learning, avoiding a negative stimulus is not.
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com